Wednesday, March 19, 2014

The Strangest Art Tool Yet

As I was cutting celery sticks for my daughter's St. Patrick's Day class party (yes, I was "celery mom"; you know that must have gone over big), I remembered a trick I have read about dipping the cut end of the celery stalks into paint to get the effect of a painted rose.
I decided to give it a try, pouring a few shades of pink craft paint onto some palette paper, and dipping the celery right in.  So far, so pretty:
I dabbed the celery into lighter pink first, and then into a brighter pink, and spread them all over a piece of white Bristol paper to check out the effect:
Then I made a couple straight lines of celery prints onto another page:
I added black lines with a Sharpie pen to define the rose petals, painted a green background with watercolor paints, and flicked some white watercolor paint over it all to make it a little more interesting:
I am amazed by the creative design that went into making joined celery stalks look just like a rose.  Go, God!
I stamped a few ATCs while I was at it:
I added some dots and cross hatches and got some good graphic effects:
What's next:  carrots?  green pepper?  onion?  I might just have to raid my vegetable crisper drawer to find some more strange art tools!

10 comments:

Beverley Baird said...

Love your pieces! Great how they turned out!

Tina said...

I love this! Just have to try since I happen to have the celery/art supply occupying real estate in my frig right now!

Esmee Lynne said...

I tried this several times..every time I cut celery. Mine are not nearly as pretty as yours! Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

What a neat idea. You can find stamps anywhere.

Jo Murray said...

Wow! What a great tip! That worked REALLY well.

Jewels said...

This turned out GREAT!

Patty Antle said...

Oh, Andrea, you inspire me so! I am pinning this. I have a stalk of celery in the fridge right now!

Parabolic Muse said...

I've done these printings, but I've never actually doodled or embellished them before. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

curry shoes
golden goose sneakers
jordan shoes
kyrie 7 shoes
off white outlet
goyard bag
air jordan
jordan shoes
jordan 4
bapesta

Anonymous said...

fear of god outlet
hermes bags
supreme new york
fear of god clothing
pg 4
bape hoodie
bape clothing
kyrie 7
kyrie irving
gap yeezy