Saturday, December 31, 2011

Tutorial: Paper Tape Silhouettes

I have discovered another fun new way to use all those fabric, paper, and washi tapes we have all been hoarding...a project that adds some interest to art journal pages, too...Paper Tape Silhouettes!
Above you can see how I used both the positive and negative space of some of the silhouettes I created for an art journal page exploring my Word for the Year for 2012.

Here is a step-by-step description of how you, too, can create Paper Tape Silhouettes for your art journal and other projects:

Step 1:  Cut an image from a magazine or catalog, from which you will create your silhouette.  It's fun to choose an image with an interesting outline--feet taking a step, arms outstretched in a dramatic gesture, skirt in a swirl.  Cut very closely along the edges of the figure.
Step 2:  Use a pencil to draw around the cut-out image onto a piece of white paper.
Step 3:  Cut out the image you just drew on white paper with pencil.
Step 4:  On another piece of white paper (I use drawing-weight paper), start laying down strips of paper tape, using the white cut-out as a guide for how wide the strips need to be.  (Don't waste too much tape by laying down lots more than you need!)
Step 5:  Keep going, laying down strips the full length of the cut-out image.
Step 6:  Again, draw the figure's outline in pencil.  This time, use the white cut-out as your guide, and trace the figure onto the tapes.
Step 7:  Cut out the silhouette that you just traced in pencil.  You are left with your Paper Tape Silhouette!
Step 8:  You can also use the "negative space" left over from cutting out the figure.  Just add a little piece of tape to the back of your cut line (you can see my cut line just above the "4" on the right hand side).  It holds the paper together, and you can barely notice the line when you use the paper in your art journal.  You are likely to cover it over with some other image anyway!  Or just extend some more tape over it.
So, here are three examples of Paper Tape Silhouettes that I have made:
And here is a close-up of the journal page I showed at the beginning of this blog post.  I used the silhouette of a little girl twirling around in a skirt:
I also used the negative space from the silhouette I created step-by-step above to practice lettering by writing out a quotation:
Learning to do some interesting lettering in my art journal is a current project of mine...something for another blog post entirely!

Have fun with your Paper Tape Silhouettes!  Let me know if you try them out; I would love to see your results!

And, by the way, HAPPY NEW YEAR!


17 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the silhouettes, I am going to try that technique :)

Janet said...

You always share such fun projects. I might have to try this one.

Happy New Year!! I hope 2012 is great for all of us.

laurie said...

great idea! i just may need to collect some more tape before trying some of my own. happy new year!

Parabolic Muse said...

Okay, you are my guru!! I love these!

Happy New Year to you. I hope your holiday season is all you would want it to be.

Andria said...

Thanks, Joyelle! I'm so glad you are planning to try it!

Thanks, Janet. Best wishes for your new year, too!

Laurie, beware...once you start collecting, it gets very hard to stop!

Thanks, Chris...try some of these silhouettes...you will love how they turn out!

Anonymous said...

Andria...this is a wonderful idea. I want to try this! If you didn't have tape, one could glue strips of decorative paper, painted papers or magazine papers! Thanks! Have an artfilled year!!!
Mary

aimee said...

genius!

Andria said...

So true, Mary...any kind of decorative paper cut into strips would look great!

Thanks, Aimee!

Pat said...

Clever.

Beulah Bee said...

Found this post via a link from Crescendoh.com. Often, I have used the negative of a silhouette in other ways but this idea of yours is really clever and one I am sure to try. Thanks for sharing!

Andria said...

Thank you, Pat!

Ceparie,thanks for letting me know about the link on Crescendoh; I didn't know it was there! I hope you will make a return visit.

donna!ee said...

WOW...this is the coolest technique ever...THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!!!!! it is well... :)

scrapwordsmom said...

This is just tooo cool! Congrats on the shout out from Jenny!!

Vanessa R said...

What a wonderful idea - thanks for the tutorial. Going to try this soon!

Kathy O' said...

Thanks for sharing this! I was doing a little blog hopping and came across yours and am enjoying it. I see that we have some things in common: living in PA, 2 daughters (although mine are grown), Joann Sharpe's Letter Love, experimenting with Zentangle.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love it. What a great idea. Blessings!

Marjie Kemper said...

These are fabulous! May need to give it a whirl myself. Thanks for the idea.