Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cabinet of Spooks

I am having my first craft show of the fall season on Saturday, and while most of my inventory is similar to the shows I did last year, I have a new item specially prepared for this pre-Halloween sale.
I call them my Cabinet of Spooks, since I have collaged a selection of vintage cabinet cards with light-heartedly "spooky" elements like hats, wands, and stars.
Cabinet cards are photographic portraits from the late 1800s that were large enough (about 4-1/4 by 6-1/2 inches) to be seen from a display spot in a cabinet in one's Victorian parlor.
I have amassed a nice little collection of these cabinet cards from various sales and auctions, and while I have incorporated one or two into my art journals, I have been hesitant to alter them in any significant way. 
That changed when I saw a feature in the Christmas edition of Country Living magazine this past year, where someone drew reindeer antlers on the dour portrait of a 19th century gentleman.  I loved it!  I quickly chose a sour-faced little woman from my cabinet card collection and gave her a pair of antlers, and she now hangs on the inspiration board above my work table.  I plan to have some more of these available for my future shows nearer to the holidays. 
For Halloween, coming up next month, I thought it would be fun to add some appropriately spooky features, and prop the cards on little wooden easels.  I think they make a humorous addition to your Halloween decor!
Let me know what you think of my Cabinet of Spooks!

12 comments:

Carin Winkelman said...

Oh these are just adorable and I'm only a little envious of your beautiful collection of cabinet cards. ;-) Good luck on the craft show. These should be a hit!

Unknown said...

I think they're awesome, and they're sure to be a hit at the craft show!

She Who Doodles said...

fun, great idea.

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

I think they are very fun--have a great time selling them.

aprilmariecole.blogspot.com said...

Awww... these are terrific!
Honestly Andria, these are way too cute, to be spooky ((LOL)) :]
Love them all.
Wanted to thank you for the postcard as well, you are so thoughtful. ~xx
It was a delight to receive.

laurie said...

these are so fun to look at and come with the thought that there is a "shadow self" in every person - spooky, huh?!

Karenann Young said...

These are great "spooky" cabinet cards! Great idea!

Anne said...

I definitely need a couple of these!
Think I'll intersperse them with some family photos on the desk!!

susanmlowry@hotmail.com said...

Your table at the craft fair/flea market was well done today. I applaud you and I am enjoying my treasures that I purchases at your booth. I am benefiting from your creative juices!Thank you Andria!

susanmlowry@hotmail.com said...

Your table at the craft fair/flea market was well done today. I applaud you and I am enjoying my treasures that I purchased at your booth. I am benefiting from your creative juices! Thank you Andria!

Parabolic Muse said...

Andria, these are exactly what I love with Halloween decor. Humor, defintely some bright rich orange, and the black and white eerie effect. These will be a HIT!

I must get some cabinet cards. I've seen them at antique stores, but never really knew what I wanted to do with them! I'll probably be able to get some this fall, although when I was at the shop in Pasadena I didn't see them any more. I wonder if that's something that people run out of? Do you think they are copyright free? i could probably copy the image onto board and 'pretend'...

Bwahahahaha!!!

bathroom furniture said...

Hello
"Cabinet of Spooks"
That is powerfully helpful! Great insights into your inner workings! Great info it is without doubt.